Knowledge and Awareness of Oral Medicine Specialty among the Medical Practitioners in Lata Mangeshkar Hospital, Nagpur

Main Article Content

Apurva Mohite Khator
Dhwani Suchak
Simran Tahilyani
Mukta Motwani
Ankita Thakre

Abstract

Background: Medicine and dentistry need to go hand in hand for holistic betterment of a patient. However, in India even today the medical practitioners are unaware of a very important specialty of dentistry which is Oral Medicine and Radiology which deals with oral manifestations of systemic diseases.

Aim: Therefore, this study was conducted to assess and increase their awareness.

Study Design: A validated questionnaire consisting of closed ended questions was sent to 100 medical practitioners and they were asked to tick the most appropriate response.

Results: Among the 100 doctors, 55% were aware of the specialty and the remaining 45% were not aware of the specialty in dentistry. It was also observed that even though the medical practitioners encountered oral medicine specialty cases like Temporo-mandibular joint disorders, orofacial pain, premalignant lesion etc. they referred them elsewhere due to lack of awareness.

Conclusion: There is a pressing the need to improve the coordination between medical and dental practitioners.

Keywords:
Oral medicine and radiology, medical practitioners, Temporo-mandibular joint disorders, awareness, orofacial pain, premalignant lesions.

Article Details

How to Cite
Khator, A. M., Suchak, D., Tahilyani, S., Motwani, M., & Thakre, A. (2021). Knowledge and Awareness of Oral Medicine Specialty among the Medical Practitioners in Lata Mangeshkar Hospital, Nagpur. Asian Journal of Dental Sciences, 4(1), 1-5. Retrieved from https://journalajds.com/index.php/AJDS/article/view/30137
Section
Original Research Article

References

Bokkasam VK, Raviraj J, Gundlapalle P, Kolugundla VK, Vardhan H, Thombarapu L. Awareness of oral medicine specialty among medical practitioners in and around Tirupati: A survey. J Indian Acad Oral Med Radiol 2015;27:59-62.

Bailoor DN, Naidu G, Jhingan A, Shukla A, Beohar K. The Future Of Oral Physicians - A Perplexing Enigma An Indian Survey. IOSR J Dent Med Sci 2014;13:71-5.

Aditya A, Lele S, Aditya P. Need and availability of dentists and specialists in oral medicine and radiology: A Survey. J Indian Acad Oral Med Radiol 2014;26:158-61.

Subhashraj K, Subramaniam B. Awareness of the specialty of oral and maxillofacial surgery among health care professionals in Pondicherry, India. J Oral MaxillofacSurg 2008; 66:2330-4.

Sarumathi T, Saravanakumar B, Datta M, Nagarathnam T. Awareness And Knowledge Of Common Oral Diseases Among Primary Care Physicians. J Clin Diagn Res 2013;7:768-71.)

Radha G, Shaik Hyder Ali KH, Pushpanjali K. Knowledge and attitude and practice of oral health among nursing staff and nursing students of Bangalore City. J Indian Assoc Public Health Dent. 2008;17-21.

Morgan R, Tsang J, Harrington N, Fook L. Survey of hospital doctors’ attitudes and knowledge of oral conditions in older patients. Postgrad Med J 2001;77:392-4.

Patil A, Chavan S, Baghele O, Patel K, Patil K. Awareness Of Oral Health Among Medical Practitioners In Sangamner City-A Cross-Sectional Survey. J Indian Dent Assoc. 2010;4:534-6.